Section 13 of the Superior Hiking Trail in the Fall

Alright, I'm finally getting started on my Fall on the North Shore series!

Last fall, my husband and I had a rare chance to spend a weekend on the North Shore of Lake Superior during peak fall colors. Read about our full trip and view our itinerary here.

Section 13 of the Superior Hiking Trail (AllTrails map) was our first stop of the weekend. Fall is a very busy time on the North Shore, so I was intentional about choosing trails that were a little more off the beaten path. An easy way to avoid some of the crowd is to hike a trail that is even slightly off of the main road, Highway 61. The fact that this trail is only named "Section 13" also indicated that it probably wasn't well-traveled.

The Superior Hiking Trail runs along the North Shore of Lake Superior and is maintained by a non-profit organization (Superior Hiking Trail Association) and countless volunteers. Main trails are indicated by a blue blaze on trees, while spur trails are marked in white. The southern segment near Duluth is 43 miles, and the section from Duluth to the northern end of the trail is 269 miles.

The trailhead for Section 13 is a gravel parking lot and can be found by navigating to Superior Hiking Trail Trailhead, Superior Hiking Trail, Finland, MN. It was a 4 hour drive for us from Minneapolis. Take Highway 61 until mile marker 65, then turn left onto Lake County Road 6. The parking lot is just over 2 miles away on the right. Vehicles do not need a parking permit as it is not park of a state park. 

The trail is 2.8 miles out and back, with an AllTrails estimated time of 1 hour and 17 minutes. It's rated moderate due to some rocky sections of trail and an elevation gain of 456 feet, but we found it on the easier side of moderate.

I knew quickly that this was going to be one of my new favorite trails. It was quiet and peaceful and we only passed a few other hikers. We started on a narrow dirt path with some sections of boardwalk. Most of the elevation is towards the end. The trail through the forest provided pops of fall color, but the real selling point is the overlook. Though this trail does not overlook Lake Superior, the sweeping view of the Baptism River Valley and Sawmill Creek below were breathtaking. I'm not ashamed to admit I almost cried when I saw the vibrant panorama of orange, red, bright green, and forest green. I even had my husband take a picture of JUST me - which I never do!

We spent a lot of time just taking in the views over the cliff and overlook. The best part is that nobody else was around while we were at the top. It was so serene and awe-inspiring, the perfect way to kick off our weekend. I absolutely plan to return, especially if I can get back during peak fall colors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trail of Small Wonders 2023 - Limited Time Event at Westwood Hills Nature Center

Whitewater State Park - Chimney Rock and Hiking Club Trail - Summer 2023

George Crosby Manitou State Park in the Fall